Engaging with different online platforms and profiles to manage your researcher identity has a number of benefits:
- More control over your online presence.
- Share your work and expertise more broadly, including with the public.
- Justify your research to taxpayers.
- Increase your opportunities for impact through greater visibility.
However, this does require some effort and time to curate and/or cultivate the information on different platforms. Below is information about different ways to engage online and different platforms that you can use to cultivate an online presence.
Note: Mentioning a particular social media platform here does not constitute endorsement.
Best Practices for Engaging Online
- Decide on goals for engagement
- Focus on a particular platform or two
- Connect profiles when possible
- Control privacy settings
- Regularly review profiles and privacy settings
- Know best practices for your chosen social media platform (hashtags, noting who posts, audience, reading level, etc.)
- Use a professional photo