When you search databases or library catalogs, you need to export your citations differently. There are 2 methods: direct export & import filters.
For example, in CINAHL:
- Select references you want to export by adding them to a folder.
- In the folder, select them again.
- Click the Export icon.
- Select the Direct Export to EndNote Web option.
- Click the Save button on the left to have your references imported.
PubMed requires import filters, so it's a slightly longer process.
- Select the references you wish to export.
- Click the Send to link
- Select Citation manager from the Destination list
- Click Create File button.
- Save the file to your desktop or anywhere that you will easily remember.
In EndNote Basic:
- On the Collect tab, select Import References.
- At File:, click the Choose File button & search for the file you saved.
- From the Import Option menu, select the correct database. For PubMed, choose PubMed (NLM).
- At To:, select the group that you want to place the references in.
- Click the Import button.