Skip to main content
Library Research Guides

Japanese Studies

Selected information resources on Japanese Studies at University of Michigan

Find Japanese language articles / Not many full-text available in Japan

How to Get Articles from Japan

How to get articles from Japan, when no journal is available in WorldCat.

* Search WorldCat  to see if you can request ILL from the US universities, and check "holding information of volumes" at each library catalog. Include the permlink of the journal title you find, as well as OCLC number in the WorldCat in ILL form.

  1. Search CiNii Articles (search among Japanese academic institutions).
  2. Find an article, and search the journal title which contains the article in CiNii again to find which universities hold the journal.
  3. Under [大学図書館所蔵], there are two boxes: [すべての値域], [すべての図書館].
  4. From the box of [すべての図書館], choose [日米ILL参加館].
  5. You will see a list of libraries with US-Japan ILL.
  6. Pay attention to the year and the volume number of the journal which includes the particular article you need. Choose the institution which holds the particular volume with the article you need.
  7. Click one of them and copy the URL of the link, and past the URL in the NOTE section in the ILL Request Form.
  8. Add a message in the NOTE section, "No US holding. ILL from Japan. See URL," and include the URL of the institution which holds this title in the NOTE section. Do not forget to input other information about this title in the ILL Request Form in ALPHABET.
  9. It usually takes about 3 days for digital delivery of articles unless they reject your request.