Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Scholarly Publishing

Provides information about journals, books, and open access for authors looking to publish scholarly works.


This guide offers tips for scholarly authors who are looking to publish their research. We also recommend contacting a librarian in your subject area for guidance and advice specific to your field of study. While some of the services linked to in this guide are limited to the University of Michigan community, we have also included general advice and information relevant to authors everywhere.

The sections of this guide include:

Services of the University of Michigan Library Copyright Office

Our office provides information to help you make decisions about sharing and using copyrighted material in your research, learning, and teaching. In addition to copyright guides like this one and online resources on our website, please take advantage of our person-to-person services.

Email Us

Use our email address to ask questions about copyright.

Make an Appointment

We offer virtual 1:1 appointments for U-M students, faculty, and staff. To make an appointment at another time, please email us.

Attend a Workshop

We offer public workshops on copyright. We also offer customized copyright education (presentations, workshops, etc.) for university groups, including faculty, staff, and students. Please email us to request this.

External Services

Although we provide information and education about copyright, we are not able to provide legal advice.

Some copyright-related issues are handled elsewhere at the university:

  • If you have specific legal questions pertaining to the University of Michigan, please contact the Office of the General Counsel.

  • If you believe your copyright has been infringed on a web site hosted by the university, please contact our DMCA agent.

  • If you have questions about using the university trademarks, including the Block M, please consult the Permissions Guide from the university's Office of Communications.

If you require legal advice in your personal capacity, the lawyer referral services operated by the Washtenaw County Bar Association and the State Bar of Michigan may be helpful to you.