Library Guest Computers
- Guest computers are available at Hatcher Graduate Library on the second floor. Instructions for logging in are available on the computer screen.
- There are also several computers for guests at Shapiro Undergraduate Library on the first floor. Ask at the reference desk if you need assistance.
Library Services for Alumni
Library Services Lost After Graduation...
- After graduation from University of Michigan you will no longer have access to Library electronic databases and most online journals from off campus.
- Alumni can no longer check out materials for free from the library after graduation.
Continued Library Services...
- Anyone is free to come in to any library location and use a guest login to find, read and print most online materials.
- The Library offers a for-fee service called Michigan Information Transfer Source (MITS). This service allows anyone to order and receive copies of articles, book chapters or research reports for a fee. Contact the MITS office for more information.
- Take advantage of your local public library for interlibrary loan. You may be able to request materials owned by large research libraries and have them delivered to your local library at little or no charge.
- If you are moving out of Ann Arbor try visiting an academic library near your new location. Public Universities allow visitors guest privileges which would enable you to search their library databases and read or print off or email full-text electronic articles at no charge.
Services for a Price...
- For a fee of $125.00 annually you can register for alumni book borrowing privileges. This fee does not include access to online materials and library databases, however. Because of licensing agreements with publishers access is not available to online library materials once you have graduated.
- If you join the University of Michigan Alumni Association you will have access to a limited number of library databases as part of this membership. See the Alumni Association web site for details.
Using ArticlesPlus as an Alumni
- Alumni and those not affiliated with the University of Michigan may search many of our subscription databases together from off-campus without charge using ArticlesPlus. If you are not currently affiliated with the university you will only be allowed to see article citations and abstracts from ArticlesPlus. Full text will not be available unless you make a trip to the University of Michigan Library and use one of our guest computers. If you find a citation or article for your research you may also be able to request the article via Interlibrary Loan services from a public library in your area.
For more detailed information on alumni library privileges see
Services for Alumni.