Interprofessional Education at the University of Michigan
The Michigan Center for Interprofessional Education is a coordinating center for Interprofessional Education and collaborative care efforts at the University of Michigan.
What is IPE?
“Interprofessional education occurs when students from two or more professions learn about, from, and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes. Once students understand how to work interprofessionally, they are ready to enter the workplace as a member of the collaborative practice team. This is a key step in moving health systems from fragmentation to a position of strength.”
World Health Organization (WHO). (2010). Framework for action on interprofessional education & collaborative practice. Geneva: World Health Organization.
Interprofessional Education Collaborative
The Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) was founded in 2009 by six national health professions education associations:
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American Dental Education Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Association of Schools & Programs of Public Health