This guide will direct you to some Library resources that will be useful to you in the literature search portion of your project for Engineering 100. Use the tabs above to find pages on:
- Background Information. The Background Information page has links to engineering encyclopedias, handbooks, and reference collections that you can use to find good overviews of almost any topic related to engineering. These resources typically include both short introductions to the topics of your research and bibliographies suggesting further reading on the topics.
- Engineering Literature. The Engineering Literature Databases page has links to index and abstract databases that will allow you to find journal articles on engineering topics. This page also links to more information about tools for citation management, like Zotero.
- Academic Integrity. The Academic Integrity page will provide some guidance on what plagiarism is and how to avoid it.
- Citation Help. Use this tab to learn library resources for saving and sharing selected citation and for a brief introduction to citing in IEEE style.
Some Tips on Library Searches
- A well-planned and executed literature search takes time, but it will also save time. Engineers can build off of others' successes and failures by reviewing publications and learning something about solutions to problems that have already been tried before beginning experimentation in the lab.
- Engineering research is not a simple Google search. Google cannot give you access to materials behind paywalls. The Library makes these materials available to you through subscriptions to resources such as the Engineering Index.
- Ask for help early in your process. A good search strategy is more efficient than a poor one, and will help you avoid spending time looking in the wrong place or looking at material that is too challenging to interpret.
- Ask the subject librarians for help! Librarians can help you to find the right resources for your research, help you construct search strategies, and help you locate the materials that you have selected from your search results. We are here to help you!