Skip to Main Content
Tips for searching the Library Catalog, the web, and other library databases (applicable to many search engines, including Google)
- Put phrases in quotation marks: "hurricane katrina"
- Use an asterisk for truncation (any ending of a term): communicat* will find communication, communicates, communicating, communicator, etc.
- To search for ANY of a group of terms, use OR and parentheses: (movies OR film OR cinema)
- To search for ALL terms, use AND: violence AND movies
- Combine the above two strategies: violence AND (movies OR film OR cinema OR "motion pictures")