How Do I Get a Copy of a Standard in the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library?
Access the standard(s) you need based on the issuing agency:
* ASTM Standards can be downloaded from IHS Specs & Standards.To find an ASTM standard:
o Click on 'Specs & Standards.'
o Enter your standard number in the 'Doc No.' field and 'ASTM' in the 'Text' field; click on 'Search.'
o Find your standard in the list and click on 'View.'
o Read the copyright agreement and click on 'Accept' to download the PDF.
* ASME Standards - Some ASME standards are available through Knovel:
* IEEE Standards are accessible via IEEE Xplore (authorized U-M users only).
* SAE Standards are included in the SAE Handbook, which is kept in the reference collection on the second floor. The current edition is available on CD-ROM. Ask for help at the Library Reference Desk.
* Building and Energy Codes - The following building, fire, and energy codes are available online through MAD CAD:
* AAMI - Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation standards are available on CD-ROM at the Taubman Health Sciences Library. For assistance, please contact Taubman staff at 734-764-1210.
*ACI - American Concrete Institute standards are published in the ACI Manual of Concrete Practice, available in print format in the AAEL reference collection, call number TA439.A357. For assistance, please contact AAEL staff at 734-647-5735.
* OSHA & MiOSHA - Occupational Safety & Health Administration standards are available online at the OSHA website: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=STANDARDS&p_toc_level=0&p_keyvalue=
Michigan Occupational Safety & Health Administration standards are available online at the MiOSHA website: http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-11407_15368---,00.html
* Military Specifications - The Department of Defense has made many military standards available for free (registration and approval is required for access). Please see DoD's ASSIST (at http://assist.daps.dla.mil/) website for coverage. Some MilSpecs may also be available via the ILI Standards Database (UM-Ann Arbor affiliated users only).
* Historical standards - The Art, Architecture & Engineering Library maintains a small collection of historical standards in print format. A searchable database of these standards holdings is available via Historical Standards at AAEL.
* For all other standards not listed above, UM-Ann Arbor affiliated users may request that the standard be ordered via the ILI Standards Database (library staff will review the order then forward the standard on to you if approved). If you need help using the ILI Database, please contact the Reference Desk.
If You Are Not a User of the UM Art, Architecture & Engineering Library
(UM-Dearborn & UM-Flint affiliates should contact their respective libraries for standards access.)
If you are a non-UM affiliated user who wants to use our standards collection, you may freely visit our library. However, there are few resources available to non-UM affiliates through the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library.
Among the resources that are available to you in the AAEL are
o SAE Handbook (CD-ROM and paper format, available in the Reference Collection)
A good resource for finding and acquiring a standard is NSSN, a searchable database of global standards that will link you to where the standard may be acquired (usually for a fee).
There may also be other sources outside of the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library available to you, including:
o Other libraries in your area
o Military standards over the WWW.
o Standards suppliers (for-pay document delivery services):
TechStreet 800-699-9277; http://www.techstreet.com/
IHS 800-525-7052; http://www.ihs.com
ILI 201-986-1131; http://www.ili-info.com