ProQuest Chinese Newspaper Collection (1832-1953) is a fully searchable database of 12 English-language newspapers published in China.
- North China Herald (1850-1941)
- Canton Times (1919-1920)
- China Critic (1939-1946)
- The China Press (1925-1938)
- China Weekly Review (1917-1953)
- Chinese Recorder (1868-1940)
- Chinese Repository (1832-1851)
- Peking Daily News (1914-1917)
- Peking Gazette (1915-1917)
- Peking Leader (1918-1919
- Shanghai Gazette (1919-1921)
- Shanghai Times (1914-1921)
Chinese Periodical Full-Text Database (1912-1949) 民国时期中文期刊全文数据库 includes approximately 25,000 titles of Chinese-language periodicals published between 1912 and 1949 (Republican Era).
China: Trade, Politics and Culture 1793-1980 contains archival sources from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and British Library.
Foreign Office Files for China: 1919-1980 is sourced from the National Archives, Kew--the UK government's official archive. This database currently contains five sections:
- 1919-1929, Kuomintang, CCP and the Third International
- 1930-1937, The Long March, civil war in China and the Manchurian Crisis
- 1949-1956, The Communist Revolution
- 1957-1966, The Great Leap Forward
- 1967-1980, The Cultural Revolution
2010 China Census Data (all in cd-rom format) sets are now available for borrowing at the Asia Library office (418 Hatcher Graduate Library North). It includes:
What's in this Guide
This LibGuide provides a general map of digital resources for the Chinese Studies community at the University of Michigan. The majority of the resources listed here are in the Chinese language. They are categorized into seven tabs. Start browsing now, and you will learn more about each resource through overviews. Then click the link and experience its interface and searching function.
Please note that this LibGuide is not exhaustive. For example, no printed and microfilm materials are included here although the Asia Library does have a tremendous collection. It is possible that resources that are specifically useful for your own courseworks and research projects may not be represented here. If you have any questions, please contact your Chinese Studies Librarian Liangyu Fu for help.
- Other useful LibGuides for Chinese Studies:
Commonly Used Databases
- CNKI 中国知网 (including full-text databases of 中国期刊全文数据库, 中国博士学位论文全文数据库, 中国优秀硕士学位论文全文数据库, 中国重要会议论文全文数据库, 国际会议论文全文数据库, 中国重要报纸全文数据库, 中国年鉴网络出版总库, 世纪期刊, 中国学术辑刊全文数据库, and 中国工具书网络出版总库)
- Unihan databases (including full-text dababases of 中醫中藥古籍, 歷代書畫文集, 四部叢刊, 四部備要, 十通, 清代史料文獻, 明代史料文獻 and 歷代石刻史料彙編)
Using digital recourses listed in this LibGuide requires certain knowledge of Chinese and Japanese computing. Click on the topics below to learn more.
China at UofM
- MLibrary Digital Collections on China (Chinese Papercuts)
The Center for Chinese Studies possesses a stunning collection of rare propaganda papercuts from the Cultural Revolution--a period of massive political upheaval in China that began in 1966 and lasted about a decade. The papercuts were scanned and made available as high-resolution digital images in this collection by the University Library Digital Library Production Service.