Skip to Main Content

Open Access

This research guide provides readers with a basic understanding of Open Access, which is broadly defined as content that is free to access and re-use.

Copyright Questions?

The University of Michigan Library Copyright Office provides help with copyright questions for University of Michigan faculty, staff and students. Please email us with questions or visit our website for more information.

Legal Advice

The information presented here is intended for informational purposes and should not be construed as legal advice. If you have specific legal questions pertaining to the University of Michigan, please contact the Office of the General Counsel.

If you require legal advice in your personal capacity, the lawyer referral services operated by the Washtenaw County Bar Association and the State Bar of Michigan may be helpful to you.

Discounts for University of Michigan Authors

The following publishers offer discounted article processing charges (APCs) for University of Michigan authors. If you have questions about any of the library's open access agreements with publishers, please email

Sources of Funding for APCs

The University Library does not have a fund to support article processing charges (APCs), color figure fees, or other fees associated with publishing journal articles. We recommend considering the following funding sources.

Grants and sponsored projects awards

Take publication costs into account when applying for funding and write publication costs into your grant. If you are seeking to publish work that was previously funded, check with your funding agency to see if you can use funds to cover publication costs.

Individual funds (start-up funds, research accounts, special funds associated with appointments)

Most faculty have funds available to them individually that can be used to cover travel, materials, equipment, publication costs, and other expenses associated with their work. Your academic unit might recommend (and in some cases require) that you expend these funds first before seeking additional funding at the level of your department or school/college.

Unit funds

Departments and schools/colleges offer research incentive funds. While policies vary by unit, publication costs generally accepted as an expense that can be covered using these funds. Consult your chair and/or associate dean(s) to learn more.

Special programs in your unit

Some units have unique opportunities for funding. For example, in LSA an application for the Associate Professor Support Fund could include publication charges as part of the budget. Consult your chair and/or associate dean(s) to learn more.

Local Support for U-M Students & Faculty

The library and the university provide support and information regarding open access. Take advantage of the resources and services below.