There are two ways to add/display a U-M Library Research Guide to your Canvas Course site.
If you only plan on using one research guide in your class, use the top-level site navigation option. However, if you are planning on using multiple research guides, or integrating the research guide more seamlessly into the students’ workflow, you will need to embed them in Modules.
This tutorial is intended as a supplement to Canvas support documentation available at the Instructor website.
To add a Research Guide to your Navigation:
Adding a Research Guide into a course Module is an effective method to help students use of resources.
To add a research guide to a Module:
1. Select the Module you want to add the guide to using the course navigation bar and click on the add button (“+”) next to the mini-drop down.
2. The first object on the window is a prompt asking what you want to add. Select “External Tool” from the dropdown menu.
3. Scroll down the long list of external tools and select “U-M Library Research Guides.” Selecting this option will automatically populate the URL field with the tool launch URL. DO NOT CHANGE THIS URL. YOU WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SELECT YOUR GUIDE LATER.
4. Click “Add Item.” This should return you to the Modules list, where you will see the new item has been added.
5. In order to select a specific guide, click the name of your new item, “U-M Research Guides,” in the Modules list.
6. You will then be prompted for a “LibGuide Site.” Select “Research Guides - guides.lib.edu” from the drop down menu and another drop down menu will be revealed. This next drop down asks for a “content type,” so select whatever is appropriate from the menu. The most common option is “Full LibGuide.”
7. You will then be prompted to select a “Guide” by name. Select from the alphabetical listing or by typing in the search field. You can then select the specific page for your students landing page using the “guide Page” drop down.
8. When you have identified the correct guide/page, click “Embed Content.”
9. To change the default name of the item, select “Edit” from the item mini-menu.
“Publish” the item to make it visible to students. Note: if you select the wrong guide when embedding in a Module, you will need to delete the item.
If you want to link to more than one guide in the site navigation, you must use the Redirect tool in the Apps center. If you are unfamiliar with the Redirect tool, contact email@example.com for help.