Skip to Main Content

Stamps International Experience

Tips and cultural information relating to international engagement for UM Stamps School of Art & Design students

Library Contact

Profile Photo
Jamie Vander Broek
Librarian for Art & Design
2390 Duderstadt Center
2281 Bonisteel Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
(734) 764-3166

Stamps International Requirement

What is the international requirement? 

Do I have to study abroad for credit?

Can I volunteer or conduct research abroad and fulfill the requirement? 

Find out on the Stamps website

All international experiences must be pre-approved and recorded in M-Compass.


Health & Safety

A Safe Trip Abroad:  The U.S. Department of State offers advice on current conditions in countries around the world.

Travelers Health:  The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has resources to guide preparations for study abroad.

Women Traveling Abroad:  In some countries, women may need to change their usual behavior to reduce the risk of unwanted attention or sexual harassment.  This may include dressing more conservatively, not traveling at night and only traveling in groups.

Managing Stress Abroad:  Traveling abroad is filled with positive and negative stressors. Resources are available through U-M Counseling and Psychology Services (CAPS).  Ask about "stress inoculation" and learn how to better manage stress.

Mental Health Abroad: If you have been diagnosed with a mental illness and are currently being treated, research conditions in your host country to find out the kind and level of care that is available.  Some countries may not offer the kind of support your health care provider recommends.

LGBTQA Issues Abroad: Laws and customs regarding LGBT vary widely by country.  Carefully research acceptability in your host country before putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. Start with the U.S. Department of State website.

Talk to staff at the the U-M Spectrum Center.  They have recently posted materials on international experiences.

Disabilities Abroad:  Many kinds of disabilities can be managed abroad.  Find resources on how to do this at Mobility International USA


Essential Travel Documents

Passport:  Do you have one?  Is it still valid?  U.S. citizens can learn how to apply for your first passport or renew at


Visa:  Does your host country require one?  This is a complicated question whose answer depends on your country of citizenship, the purpose and length of your visit and the regulations of the host country.  Research visa requirements well in advance of your departure date.  Some student visas can take several months to acquire.  Plus, assembling the visa application will take time.  Official transcripts, photographs and an official letter of admission from the host university are typical requirements.

Some countries allow U.S. citizens to visit their country as a tourist without a visa.  But the same country may require a student visa for study abroad that lasts longer than a few weeks.  Research the official requirements on the host country consulate's U.S. website. 

For example, students who plan to study in Spain for more than 90 days and who reside in Michigan, are within the jurisdiction of the Embassy of Spain Consulate of Chicago.  Applying for a student visa in Spain requires scheduling an appointment on-line and traveling to Chicago for a personal interview.  Read the following link for more information:

Related Guides