This is the "Getting Started" page of the "Art and Design International Engagement Guide" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content
MLibrary Home | Mirlyn Search Tools MGet It | Ask a Librarian
University of Michigan

Art and Design International Engagement Guide   Tags: art_and_design, best_bet, best_bets, international, international_studies, travel  

Tips and cultural information relating to international engagement for UM Stamps School of Art & Design students
Last Updated: Mar 10, 2014 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates

Getting Started Print Page

Stamps International Requirement

What is the international requirement?  Do I have to study abroad for credit? Can I volunteer or conduct research abroad and fulfill the requirement?  Find out on the A&D website.  All international experiences must be pre-approved and recorded in M-Compass.

Guidance for Stamps students

Which programs are offered by the Stamps School?


Health & Safety

A Safe Trip Abroad:  The U.S. Department of State offers advice on current conditions in countries around the world

Travelers Health:  The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has resources to guide preparations for study abroad.

Managing Stress Abroad:  Traveling abroad is filled with positive and negative stressors. Resources are available through U-M Counseling and Psychology Services (CAPS).  Ask about "stress inoculation" and learn how to better manage stress.

Mental Health Abroad: If you have been diagnosed with a mental illness and are currently being treated, research conditions in your host country to find out the kind and level of care that is available.  Some countries may not offer the kind of support your health care provider recommends.

LGBT Issues Abroad: Laws and customs regarding LGBT vary widely by country.  Carefully research acceptability in your host country before putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.  And, talk to staff the U-M Spectrum Center.

Disabilities Abroad:  Many kinds of disabilities can be managed abroad.  Find resources on how to do this at Mobility International USA



Passport:  Do you have one?  Is it still valid?  U.S. citizens can learn how to apply for your first passport or renew at

Visa:  Does your host country require one?  This is a complicated question whose answer depends on your country of citizenship, the purpose and length of your visit and the regulations of the host country.  Research visa requirements well in advance of your departure because some can take several months to acquire.


What do you think?

What factor most influenced your decision about where to study abroad?


Annette Haines and Sandra Wiley

Related Guides


We welcome your feedback on our web site.


Creative Commons

Except where otherwise noted, this work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. For details and exceptions, see the Library Copyright Statement.

©2014, Regents of the University of Michigan


Loading  Loading...