About Mirlyn Classic
Mirlyn Classic is the classic version of the University of Michigan's library catalog, listing books, periodicals, maps, manuscripts, music scores, recordings, microfilm, videos, and other materials available from the UM Library. It gives you access to the catalogs of the University Library (Ann Arbor), Clements Library, Bentley Historical Library, UM Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI), and UM-Flint.
The default search in Mirlyn Classic on the UM Ann Arbor campus includes the University Library, Clements Library, Bentley Historical Library, and UMTRI. You can change the libraries that are being searched by clicking on the link at the top of the screen.
Mirlyn and Mirlyn Classic
The Library has developed an alternative way to search and explore the contents of our library collections. This interface, known as Mirlyn, searches the same data that is searched through Mirlyn Classic, but is designed to work more like popular Internet websites and search engines.
While Mirlyn and Mirlyn Classic search the same data, each is designed to search differently and offers different functionality. Here are a few tips for choosing which version to use:
Mirlyn works well for:
- Discovering relationships between items, subjects, and concepts
- Narrowing large numbers of results down to a manageable set using facets or filters
- Connecting to online resources in fewer clicks
- Sorting search results by relevancy
- Viewing your complete library account, including interlibrary loan requests
- Keeping up to date with RSS feeds of your searches
- Using modern features like tagging and favorites
- Placing requests to use materials in the Special Collections Library
Mirlyn Classic works well for:
- Browsing around a specific call number or a subject heading
- Finding non-Roman alphabet author names
- Printing out a 'full record' that includes table of contents, subject terms, etc.
- Complex or multiple MARC field searching
- Finding course reserves by course number or instructor's name
- Online advance scheduling of Askwith Media Library materials (for faculty only)
The University of Michigan
2178 Shapiro Library
919 S. University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1185