Suggested resources for students in SI 110. Find general resources on topics such as technology, library and information science, and computer science. Use the "reference sources" to help you with the Wikipedia assignment.
Last Updated: Mar 3, 2014
Not sure how to begin researching a topic? This guide is for you.
- Use Mirlyn (see middle right) to find books, movies, music and more.
- Use ArticlesPlus (see bottom right) to search for articles.
- Use the "Databases" tab for suggested subject-specific articles.
- Use the "News Sources" tab to search for news and magazine articles.
- Learn how to write an annotated bibliography.
- Get APA citation help.
- Discover library services and get personalized help.
Not sure where to start your search? Try the "magic" search box on the MLibrary home page, http://lib.umich.edu. Your results will be various types of information available from the library: items from the catalog, web pages, research guides, databases, etc.
- Search for books and other items by keyword, subject, title, author, etc.
- Need a specific newspaper, magazine or journal? Check the library's coverage of a particular periodical/source (i.e., a newspaper, magazine, news outlet, etc.) by looking up the title in Mirlyn, the library catalog. From the drop-down menu, choose "Journal/Serial name" and search for the title. For example, you can view the Mirlyn record for the New Orleans Times-Picayune here. The "holdings" tab tells you that we have electronic access to this newspaper through several different databases, with different dates of coverage.
SEARCH TIPS for Mirlyn, library databases, and web search engines (including Google)
- Put phrases in quotation marks: "hurricane katrina"
- Use an asterisk to search for any ending of a word (this is called truncation): communicat* will find communication, communicates, communicating, communicator, etc.
- To search for ANY of a group of terms, use OR and parentheses: (movies OR film OR cinema)
- To search for ALL terms, use AND: violence AND movies
- Combine the above strategies: violence AND (movies OR film OR cinema OR "motion pictures")
ArticlesPlus allows you to search across hundreds of databases at the same time. It is especially useful when searching for interdisciplinary topics.
Start at the http://lib.umich.edu and click on the ArticlePlus center tab.