Please consult these related Research Guides if you'd like to explore more tools and resources for finding information.
Welcome to MLibrary
Today's library session will introduce searching techniques that will help you to complete your Powerpoint assignment.
During the class, we will provide a step-by-step framework that will facilitate your research.
Your Assignment (Due to your GSI on November 9th)
- Your group will produce a PowerPoint presentation to be presented to your discussion section; maximum length, 15 minutes
- This presentation should be based on a bibliography of 15-20 scholarly resources that your group creates.
- Topic: a contemporary social issue, narrowing your focus to one population group or one institution.
- The topic cannot be one of those in the course syllabus: gay marriage, health care, immigration.
- African American Christians and the gay marriage issue
- gender typing in American charter schools
- immigration issues for political asylees.
You'll apply a sociological mindset to a real-world issue, so you will need to identify approaches taken by scholars in the field. “Sociological” means that your question or thesis examines how the issue is shaped by social systems (i.e., culture/structure) and/or how the issue affects its society.
Ideally, you will identify two or three perspectives taken by researchers, and you will argue for one as the best approach.