Suggested resources for Professor Aswin Punathambekar's Fall 2012 communication studies course.
Last Updated: Sep 28, 2012
Mirlyn, library catalog (Find periodicals (newspapers, journals and magazines), books, movies, and more)
- Search for books and other stuff by keyword, subject, title, author, etc.
- Need a specific periodical? Check the library's coverage of a particular periodical/source (i.e., a newspaper, magazine, news outlet, etc.) by looking up the title in Mirlyn, the library catalog. From the drop-down menu, choose "Journal/Serial name" and search for the title. For example, you can view the Mirlyn record for TelevisionWeek (a tv trade publication) here. The "holdings" tab tells you that we have electronic access to TelevisionWeek through several different databases, with different dates of coverage.
Click on the "ArticlesPlus" tab above the search box on the library website. ArticlesPlus is your gateway to finding all sorts of articles, including ones from scholarly journals, newspapers, magazines, and trade publications. Think of it as "Google" for MLibrary!
Use when searching Mirlyn, library databases, and the web (including Google)
- Put phrases in quotation marks: "hurricane katrina"
- Use an asterisk for truncation (any ending of a term): communicat* will find communication, communicates, communicating, communicator, etc.
- To search for ANY of a group of terms, use OR and parentheses: (movies OR film OR cinema)
- To search for ALL terms, use AND: violence AND movies
- Combine the above strategies: violence AND (movies OR film OR cinema OR "motion pictures")