Suggested resources for Professor Aswin Punathambekar's Comm 479: Citizenship after Television.
Last Updated: Dec 12, 2012
Mirlyn, library catalog (Find books, newspapers and magazines, movies, and more)
- Search for books by keyword, subject, title, author, etc.
- Need a specific newspaper? Check the library's coverage of a particular periodical/source (i.e., a newspaper, magazine, news outlet, etc.) by looking up the title in Mirlyn, the library catalog. From the drop-down menu, choose "Journal/Serial name" and search for the title. For example, you can view the Mirlyn record for the New Orleans Times-Picayune here. The "holdings" tab tells you that we have electronic access to this newspaper through several different databases, with different dates of coverage.
- Alternatively, you can also look up a particular title using the MGet It link, found at the top of all library web pages.
SEARCH TIPS for Mirlyn, library databases, and the web (applicable to many search engines, including Google, but not all)
- Put phrases in quotation marks: "hurricane katrina"
- Use an asterisk for truncation (any ending of a term): communicat* will find communication, communicates, communicating, communicator, etc.
- To search for ANY of a group of terms, use OR and parentheses: (movies OR film OR cinema)
- To search for ALL terms, use AND: violence AND movies
- Combine the above strategies: violence AND (movies OR film OR cinema OR "motion pictures")
Click on the "ArticlesPlus" tab above the search box on the library website. ArticlesPlus is your gateway to finding all sorts of articles, including ones from scholarly journals, newspapers, magazines, and trade publications. Think of it as "Google" for MLibrary!