Java-based structure editor
If you experienced difficulties with the Java-based structure editor, please read below.
SciFinder now also provides a non-java structure editor. You may select your prefered editor on the interface easily.
CAS provided a solution to Java 7 Update 51 problems.
If you have the latest version of Java, you may try to open the Java Control Panel then click on the Security tab to click the Edit Site list. And add https://scifinder.cas.org to the list.
If nothing above works, you can download the Structure Editor from SciFinder on this page as an alternative.
Please contact Ye Li for addtional questions.
SciFinder is a discovery tool provided by Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) for chemical structure & reaction and forward cited-reference searches. Searches are performed across select Chemical Abstracts databases and Medline, which covers many disciplines such as biomedical sciences, chemistry, engineering, materials science, and agricultural science. (Coverage Details)
Current UM faculty, students, and staff may access the databases through the SciFinder web version.
Access to SciFinder Web Version
New to SciFinder web version?
Please click here to create your individual user name and password, then log onto the web version of SciFinder here. If you are off campus or on wireless connection, please make sure you use this link here to log onto the database instead of using the link shown on your confirmation page.
Already created your user name and password?
Log onto the web version of SciFinder here.
Need a quick check? You may access limited features of SciFinder using your smartphone. See here for details. You may login with your SciFinder account. There is no IP address restriction and your access through smartphone does not occupy our concurrent seats.
Note: Access through iPad will be directed to the web version of SciFinder (i.e. there will be IP address restriction and seats limit for iPad. )
Now, we are able to provide occasional walk-in access to SciFinder to general public under the following conditions:
1. It's for non-commercial use.
2. The access is via a public computer at MLibrary.
If you are interested in walk-in access, please make an appointment with Ye Li at firstname.lastname@example.org or (734)615-5694 .
Termination of SciFinder Scholar Client Version
The access to SciFinder via the Client version has been terminated on June 30, 2011. Please start using the web version of SciFinder as instructed above.
Switch to the web version from the client version
- If you need help with the transition or have suggestion on improving the SciFinder web version, please contact Ye Li at email@example.com .
- To convert your client saved .sfr files to .akx files using the new SciFinder file conversion tool
- SciFinder supports certain operating systems, browsers, and requires Java plug-in and certain version of Java. If the structure editor does not act normally, check your computer to see if meets requirements on this page http://www.cas.org/products/scifinder/system-requirements-web There is also a non-Java structure editor with limited features available for you to choose.