About This Guide
This guide is designed introduce the library to undergraduate students at The University of Michigan and to act as a basic guide for undergraduate research.
About the Library
Welcome to the Library
This research guide provides information about resources that will help you complete the assignemtns in the Enlish 124 "Reading and Writing About Objects and the Self" course, but keep in mind that these resources will be helpful for any course and any assignment.
Information Need > Information Resource
When should you use the Internet? When are library resources more appropriate? For the assignments in this class you can use a variaty of resources: academic journals and books, statistics, historical information, primary sources, ads etc.
The type of information you need to find determines the resource to use. Here are some examples:
- Info Need: I am researching the guitar as an object and I need to find academic books and articles
- Info Resource: for books go to Mirlyn and for articles, a great place to start is ArticlesPlus .
- Info Need: The object I'm researching is the iPhone and I need to gather other people's opinions about this type of smart phone:
- Info Resource: blogs (Internet), newspaper editorials ( Access World News Database )
- Info Need: I am writing about cars and I need to find articles and ads from the 1920's about how they were perceived during that decade.
- Info Resource: newspaper articles ( ProQuest Historical Newspapers )
- Info Need: I am analyzing the text of the book "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien and I want to know what scholars have written about this book.
- Info Resource: literary criticism ( Literature Criticism Online )
- Info Need: I am researching the Ford Motor Company and I want to find information on its financial outlook.
- Info Source: business database ( OneSource Global Business )
- Info Need: I want to find government statistics about car accidents in the US
- Info Source: statistical database ( ProQuest Statistical Insight )