Purpose of this Guide
This Library Guide will assist students writing papers for ARTDES 150 - Art and Design Perspectives (ADP I): The Creators (Fall 2012).
According to the Research Paper Assignment in CTools, students are required to find a minimum of THREE different sources. Two of these sources must be from books other than the course readings. The other source may be from articles, journals, web sites or additional books. Wikipedia is not a valid source for this assignment.
If you need help with writing the paper, check out the resources in the Writing Resources tab.
Please contact Annette Haines, Art & Design Field Librarian if you have questions or need further assistance.
- Choose a well-known/established art movement for your paper - in other words a movement that is likely to be written up in at least two books.
- If you don't know which art movement to write your paper about, browse the Art, Architecture and Engineering Library (AAEL) book stacks. Use the call number guide below (and also posted on the book stacks themselves) to get you to a general area of interest.
- Once you find something good, browse around! There are almost always good materials nearby that you wouldn’t have found otherwise. Welcome serendipity into your life!
- You can also peruse the the book Art Speak: A Guide to Contemporary Ideas, Movements, and Buzzwords, which is located in the AAE Library Reference collection, for ideas. There is also a list of art movments in the Wikipedia.
- When using Mirlyn (the Library Catalog) to find books, note the locations of materials. Not everything will be found in the Art, Architecture and Engineering Library. There are some amazing libraries on this campus – explore!
- Save your precious time and contact your field librarian for help and encouragement. Drop in or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a complete guide to Art and Design information visit URL: http://guides.lib.umich.edu/art_and_design
|Visual Arts||Call Number N||3rd Floor|
|Sculpture||Call Number NB||2nd Floor|
|Drawing/Design/Illustration||Call Number NC||2nd Floor|
|Painting||Call Number ND||2nd Floor|
|Print Media||Call Number NE||2nd Floor|
|Decorative Arts||Call Number NK||2nd Floor|
|Arts in General||Call Number NX||2nd Floor|
|Photography||Call Number TR||Basement|
The Art & Design Field Librarian
This video introduces you to Annette Haines the Art & Design Field Librarian.