This guide will help you get started with your research for Psych 331. Use the tabs above to explore different types of information sources.
Original Article summary
Write a two-page summary (double-spaced, 12 point font) of a primary journal article that is relevant to the specific project you are doing in your advisor’s laboratory. Be sure the paper has separate sections, i.e., Introduction, Methods, etc. This will ensure that you are not using a review article, and that you will be able to retrieve enough relevant information from the article.
In your own words, be sure to address:
1. Why was this experiment(s) conducted? What question are they trying to address?
2. State the hypothesis being tested.
3. Briefly describe the experimental methods that are used to test the hypothesis.
4. What are the main results of the experiment? (Note that here you don’t need to address every single finding mentioned, just the main points.)
5. What conclusions do the authors draw from the findings? Do you agree with their statements?
6. How is this paper relevant to your project?
*Make sure to include the original research article with your summary. It’s okay if the article has handwritten notes on it.