Select Books on Children, Youth & Families
Finding Information on Children and Family Issues
- New to the topic of child welfare, social work and the family or other topics related to children and youth? Get an overview of the topic using a subject encyclopedia or handbook for Background Information.
- Find Books on your topic to gain additional information on your topic. Some books will have specific perspectives, others will be a collection of articles by many different authors. Books may not be as current as recent journal articles but a book allows authors to cover a topic in more detail. Because a single book may cover many topics or perspectives your search may need to be more general than when searching for articles.
- Search for scholarly Journal Articles using article indexes. Articles provide you with peer-reviewed research, the research in journals may be more current, since it takes less time to publish an article than a book and articles allow you to narrow your search and get more specific with your topic.
- Use Statistics and/or Data to back up your research. The government has a wealth of data and statistics and the University Library subscribes to some databases which index or provide data on specific topics.
- The library also provides DVDs and other Video Resources that may help your research or provide background on a topic.