10 things to know about MLibrary
If you'd like to download a PDF version of 10 things to know about MLibrary handout, please click the link below.
Welcome to MLibrary
Today's library session is for you to learn searching techniques that will help you with the assignments for your course. During the hands-on session, you will:
- become famiiar with MLibrary resources and services
- understand the difference between popular from scholarly articles
- identify best databases and strategies for accomplishing your assignments
- become aware of various methods for finding good articles for your topic
- spend some time to practice search
After the session today, please feel free to ask for assistance at the Shapiro Undergraduate Library reference desk, via the Ask a Librarian instant messaging service, or direct your questions to the Chemistry Librarian Ye Li.
Navigate through MLibrary
Q1: How to Access MLibrary?
- MLibrary Gateway
- More than 20 libraries around campus
- Libraries you will use the most for this course
- Library Hours
Q2: How to Get Help?
- Contact Subject Specialist
- Instant message – Ask A Librarian
Q3: How to Find Books?
- Library Catalog – Mirlyn
- To find the location/call number/links for books, journals, videos, conference proceedings, etc.
- “Available online”: Link to online resources
- Recall an item
- Deliver items to the library you preferred
Q4: How to Check Out and Renew Books?
- Check them out at circulation desks with your MCard.
- Loan periods
- Fines, charges, recalls
- Log onto “My Library Account” (left bottom of library homepage) to renew books or bring them to the circulation desk
Q5: How to find a Course Reserve book?
- Course Reserves are shelved inside Askwith Media Library at second floor of Shapiro Library for 4 hour loan. Please check out the books even if you are reading inside the library.
- To find a list of books reserved for this course:
- Under the course CTools site/Library Materials, you may find the list and links to their catalog records.
- Search under Mirlyn Classic/Course Reserves with the course name, course number or intructor's name.
Q6: How to Find Articles?
- When you know the citation
- “MGet It” citation linker (Top menu bar of MLibrary homepage)
- Mirlyn catalog to search the journal title
- Browse/search online journal titles with Search Tools
- When I know the topic I am interested
- Search databases (see Q6)
Q7: How to Access Databases?
- When I know which database I need
- Type the title in the “Search” box and “Go” at the library homepage
- Use “Search Tools” (Top menu bar) to search for the database
- When I do not know which database to use
Q8: How to Access Resources Remotely?
- When I am off campus or on wireless connection
- Use links to resources on MLibrary web pages (From quick “Search” box or Mirlyn). They contain MLibrary proxy information and will ask you to log in with your unique name and Kerberos password.
- Use Proxy Sever Bookmarklet to reload the page
- When I use mobile devices
Q9: How to Get Resources MLibrary Does Not Own?