Quick Links for Standards Access
Getting Standards from the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library
How Do I Get a Copy of a Standard in the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library?
Access the standard(s) you need based on the issuing agency:
* ASTM Standards can be downloaded from ASTM Compass.To find an ASTM standard:
o Click on 'Standards and Engineering Digital Library.'
o Review the license terms and agree to continue.
o Search by ASTM standard number.
o Select either the PDF or the text version to view the standard.
* ASCE Standards are available from the ASCE Research Library.
* ASME Standards - Some ASME standards are available through Knovel:
- 2007 ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. Section II - Materials
- 2004 ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. Section II - Materials
- 2001 ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. Section II - Materials
* AWWA Standards - Some AWWA standards are available through Knovel. Look for AWWA standards in Knovel by entering a search for AWWA and then the standard number (for example: AWWA M42).
* ANSI Incorporated by Reference Standards - selected standards from ISO, IEC, AHAM, AWS, IAPMO, IES, NEMA, and other societies that have been incorporated by reference in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). These standards are hosted in a read-only format (no downloading or printing options) and available at no cost here.
* IEEE Standards are accessible via IEEE Xplore (authorized U-M users only).
* SAE Standards are included in the SAE Handbook. The 2010 edition is available on CD-ROM at the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library 2nd Floor Service Desk.
* Building and Energy Codes - Building, fire, and energy codes, including standards from ICC (e.g. 2012 International Building Code), NFPA, ASHRAE, and State of Michigan building codes, are available online through MAD CAD:
* AAMI - Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) standards are available on CD-ROM, call number CD-ROM R856.6.A25 at the Art, Architecture, & Engineering Library. AAMI-approved medical device standards from ANSI, IEC, ISO and other organizations are also included on this CD-ROM. Ask for the CD-ROM at the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library 2nd Floor Service Desk. For assistance, please contact AAEL staff at 734-647-5747.
*ACI - American Concrete Institute standards are published in the ACI Manual of Concrete Practice, available online. Please follow the link from the Mirlyn catalog record. For assistance, please contact AAEL staff at 734-647-5747.
* NFPA - National Fire Protection Association codes are available free online (Read-Only format) at the NFPA website: http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/free-access
* OSHA & MiOSHA - Occupational Safety & Health Administration standards are available online at the OSHA website: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=STANDARDS&p_toc_level=0&p_keyvalue=
Michigan Occupational Safety & Health Administration standards are available online at the MiOSHA website: http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-11407_15368---,00.html
* Military Specifications - The Department of Defense has made many military standards available for free (registration and approval is required for access). Please see DoD's ASSIST (at https://assist.dla.mil/online/start/index.cfm) website for coverage and to register for access. Users may also gain access to DoD's ASSIST in person at the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library. Some Military Specifications may also be available via the SAI Global Standards Database (UM-Ann Arbor affiliated users only).
* Municipal Codes - Online access to municipal codes of over 1,000 local governments in the United States is available through Municode.com
* Historical standards - The Art, Architecture & Engineering Library maintains a small collection of historical standards in print format. A searchable spreadsheet of these standards holdings is available via Historical Standards at AAEL.
* For all other standards not listed above, UM-Ann Arbor affiliated users may request that standards be ordered via the SAI Global Standards Infobase (library staff will review the order then forward the standard on to you if approved). If you need help using the SAI Global Standards Infobase, please contact Ask a Librarian.
If You Are Not a User of the UM Art, Architecture & Engineering Library
(UM-Dearborn & UM-Flint affiliates should contact their respective libraries for standards access.)
If you are a non-UM affiliated user who wants to use our standards collection, you may freely visit our library. However, there are few resources available to non-UM affiliates through the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library.
Among the resources that are available to you in the AAEL are
o SAE Handbook (CD-ROM, 2010 edition, available at the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library 2nd Floor Service Desk.)
A good resource for finding and acquiring a standard is NSSN, a searchable database of global standards that will link you to where the standard may be acquired (usually for a fee).
There may also be other sources outside of the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library available to you, including:
o Other libraries in your area
o Military standards over the WWW.
o Standards suppliers (for-pay document delivery services):
TechStreet 800-699-9277; http://www.techstreet.com/
IHS 800-525-7052; http://www.ihs.com
SAI Global 201-986-1131; http://www.ili-info.com