How Do I Get a Copy of a Standard in the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library?
Access the standard(s) you need based on the issuing agency:
* ASTM Standards can be downloaded from ASTM Compass.
* AAMI - Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) standards are available via AAMI eSubscription. (For access, click on the "Institutional Access" link.)
* ASCE Standards are available from the ASCE Research Library.
*ASME Standards, including the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes, are available through the ASME Standards Collection. (For access, click on the "Institutional Access" link.)
* AWWA Standards - Some AWWA standards are available through Knovel. Look for AWWA standards in Knovel by entering a search for AWWA and then the standard number (for example: AWWA M42).
* ANSI Incorporated by Reference Standards - selected standards from ISO, IEC, AHAM, AWS, IAPMO, IES, NEMA, and other societies that have been incorporated by reference in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). These standards are hosted in a read-only format (no downloading or printing options) and available at no cost here.
* IEEE Standards are accessible via IEEE Xplore.
* SAE Standards, including ground vehicle, aerospace, and aerospace materials standards, are available online in SAE Mobilus.
* Building and Energy Codes - Building, fire, and energy codes, including standards from ICC (e.g. 2012 International Building Code), NFPA, ASHRAE, and State of Michigan building codes, are available online through MAD CAD:
*ACI - American Concrete Institute standards are published in the ACI Manual of Concrete Practice, available online.
* NFPA - National Fire Protection Association codes are available free online (Read-Only format) at the NFPA website: http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/free-access
* OSHA & MiOSHA - Occupational Safety & Health Administration standards are available online at the OSHA website: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=STANDARDS&p_toc_level=0&p_keyvalue=
Michigan Occupational Safety & Health Administration standards are available online at the MiOSHA website: http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-11407_15368---,00.html
* Military Specifications - The Department of Defense has made many military standards available for free (registration and approval is required for access). Please see DoD's ASSIST (at https://assist.dla.mil/online/start/index.cfm) website for coverage and to register for access. Users may also gain access to DoD's ASSIST in person at the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library. Some Military Specifications may also be available via the SAI Global Standards Database (UM-Ann Arbor affiliated users only).
* Municipal Codes - Online access to municipal codes of over 1,000 local governments in the United States is available through Municode.com
* Historical standards - The Art, Architecture & Engineering Library maintains a small collection of historical standards in print format. A searchable spreadsheet of these standards holdings is available via Historical Standards at AAEL.
* For all other standards not listed above, UM-Ann Arbor affiliated users may request that standards be ordered via the SAI Global Standards Infobase (library staff will review the order then forward the standard on to you if approved). If you need help using the SAI Global Standards Infobase, please contact Ask a Librarian.
If You Are Not a User of the UM Art, Architecture & Engineering Library
(UM-Dearborn & UM-Flint affiliates should contact their respective libraries for standards access.)
If you are a non-UM affiliated user who wants to use our standards collection, you may freely visit our library. However, there are few resources available to non-UM affiliates through the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library.
Among the resources that are available to you in the AAEL are
o SAE Handbook (CD-ROM, 2010 edition, available at the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library 2nd Floor Service Desk.)
A good resource for finding and acquiring a standard is NSSN, a searchable database of global standards that will link you to where the standard may be acquired (usually for a fee).
There may also be other sources outside of the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library available to you, including:
o Other libraries in your area
o Military standards over the WWW.
o Standards suppliers (for-pay document delivery services):
TechStreet 800-699-9277; http://www.techstreet.com/
IHS 800-525-7052; http://www.ihs.com
SAI Global 201-986-1131; http://www.ili-info.com