All of an NIH grantee's publications that come under the NIH Public Access Policy, including in press and in print, must show evidence of compliance in NIH competing grant applications, non-competing continuation grant applications, and progress reports.
Steps in complying:
1. Determine Applicability
Does the NIH Public Access Policy apply to your paper?
- Is it peer-reviewed;
- And, is it accepted for publication in a journal on or after April 7, 2008;
- And, does it arise from direct NIH grant funding.
2. Address Copyright
Ensure your publishing agreement allows the paper to be posted to PubMed Central in accordance with the NIH Public Access Policy.
3. Submit Paper
Submit papers to PubMed Central and approve public release.
4. Include PMCID in Citations or NIHMSID
The following three identifiers indicate that the publication is in compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy:
- PMCID: PMCID######
- Or, NIHMSID: NIHMSID######
- Or if the journal automatically deposits, PMC Journal - In Process